A carpet gripper, also known as a tack strip, is a device used in the installation of wall-to-wall carpets to secure the carpet in place along the edges of a room. It commonly consists of a narrow strip of wood with small, sharp pins or tacks protruding from it. The gripper is installed around the perimeter of the room, typically against the baseboard or skirting, and its purpose is to hold the carpet firmly in place, preventing it from shifting or bunching up over time.
Here's how carpet grippers are used:
- Installation: The carpet gripper is placed around the edges of the room in a continuous run. Gripper should be fixed about 7mm away from the wall, slightly more for thicker carpets, with the pins angled toward the wall. QA Gripper has a printed arrow on it that should point towards the wall. Cut lengths to size with gripper shears. Safety gloves are a good idea as the metal pins are very sharp.
- Tacking the Carpet: Once the gripper is in place, the carpet is laid over the floor and stretched tightly towards the walls. The carpet's edge is then pressed down onto the pins of the gripper strip. The sharp pins grip the carpet's backing material securely, anchoring it in place.
- Trimming Excess: The excess carpet that extends beyond the walls is trimmed, leaving a neat and even edge. This edge is then tucked between the gripper strip and the baseboard or skirting, creating a clean, finished appearance.
Types of carpet grippers available:
- Wooden Nail Gripper: Pre-nailed for easy, fast installation on board and suspended timber subfloors.
- Dual-Purpose Grippers: These grippers have a double function. They serve as both carpet grippers and transition strips, providing a smooth transition between different flooring surfaces, such as carpet and hardwood and are pre-nailed with dual purpose nails for wood and concrete subfloors.
- Concrete Grippers: Pre-nailed with masonry nails, specially designed for ease and speed of installation and an exceptionally strong fixing on concrete subfloors.
When selecting carpet grippers, it's important to choose the appropriate type and length based on the carpet's thickness and the specific requirements of the installation. Proper installation of carpet grippers is crucial for ensuring a securely held and well-finished carpet installation. If you're not familiar with carpet installation, it's recommended to hire a professional installer to ensure the job is done correctly.
Take a look at our full QA Carpet Gripper range.